|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Oil, Mining & Energy (Click here for more)

Experts Re-Enter New Zealand Mine Where 29 Miners Died in 2010

SYDNEY – A team of experts re-entered on Tuesday the Pike River coal mine on New Zealand’s South Island, where 29 miners were killed in an accident eight years ago, the government said in a statement.

Experts from the Pike River Recovery Agency (PRRA) broke the concrete seal at the mine’s opening, allowing the entry of the victims’ families, who had been asking for this operation for the last eight years.

“The first steps through the double airlock doors will be private for families to witness,” the PRRA said on Twitter.

Experienced miners entered the mine to examine the place before the rescue team enters the site to find the bodies of the miners, who were killed in an explosion on Nov. 19, 2010.

“They’re taking the first wall down today and then there’s a lot of work to get up to the next seal and then the actual re-entry into the drift will take place after that,” Bernie Monk, father of one of the miners who died in accident and long-time spokesperson for Pike River families, told Radio New Zealand.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Monday that the re-entry would be a “symbolic moment” as the operation that could take “a number of weeks and months.”

The re-entry into the mine, which was initially scheduled for February, was postponed several times owing to safety concerns, follows a year of preparations by the PRRA, including cutting the 800 millimeter (31.5 inches) wall of concrete built 30 meters (98 feet) from the entrance and ventilating the passageway.

The Pike River tragedy claimed the lives of 29 miners, 23 of them New Zealanders, three British, two Australians and one South African, aged between 17 and 62.

The miners were reportedly killed by trauma, burns or asphyxiation after an explosion of methane gas which buried them 2.5 kilometers (1.55 miles) deep in a tunnel that lacked alternate access.

Five days later they were declared presumed dead after a second explosion at the site in the town of Greymouth on the South Island, in the second-largest mining accident in New Zealand’s history.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2019 © All rights reserved