JERUSALEM – Israel has discovered another tunnel allegedly dug by Iran-backed group Hezbollah from Lebanon into northern Israel, the Israeli Defense Forces said on Sunday.
The find brings an operation launched last month to neutralize the underground tunnels to an end, the IDF said.
Spokesman Jonathan Conricus said on a press call that the tunnel that was discovered Saturday night, which measured 800 meters in Lebanon and extended dozens of meters into Israel, was the longest of the six found during the operation.
Conricus added that the tunnel was dug at a depth of 55 meters from underneath a private home in the Lebanese border village of Ramyeh.
On Dec. 4, Israel launched the operation, dubbed Northern Shield, to “expose and neutralize” the cross-border tunnels, which Israel has condemned as a flagrant violation of its sovereignty.
“This is not merely an act of aggression. It is an act of war,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said following the discovery of the tunnels.
The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), which oversees the situation at the border between Lebanon and Israel, has confirmed the existence of at least two tunnels, constituting a violation of the UN Security Council resolution 1701 that ended the Lebanon War in 2006.