MADRID – Atletico Madrid head coach Diego Simeone stressed on Saturday that the club’s interest comes first, amid speculations about the current transfer window.
Atletico starts 2019 amid rumors of the departures of some players, especially those whose contracts end in June, such as Juanfran Torres, Filipe Luis and Diego Godin, in addition to France defender Lucas Hernandez.
“Through all this time we have worked together,” Simeone said at a press conference referring to the club’s management and himself, reiterating what he had said last week.
“We will continue in the same way, planning together, but always attending first to the needs of the club,” the Argentine coach added. “Because the club is always above all of us.”
Atletico is set to host Deportivo Alaves in a La Liga matchday 19 event at the Wanda Metropolitano stadium on Sunday.
“Levante has good offensive ability and is very fast,” Simeone praised his upcoming opponent. “It has a profile of a hard-working team, it has a solid defense and then it tries to take advantage of its attacks.”
Atletico is to seek the win in order to maintain second place in the La Liga standings with 35 points, five points behind leader Barcelona and two points ahead of third-placed Sevilla.