|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Caribbean

At Least 4 Dead, More Than 40 Injured in Dominican Republic Factory Blast

SANTO DOMINGO – At least four people died on Wednesday and more than 40 were injured, including a number of children, when a powerful explosion occurred at a plastics factory in the Dominican capital, authorities said.

The blast occurred around midday at the Polyplas factory in the Villas Agricolas district of Santo Domingo and, according to different reports, a tanker that was unloading propane blew up due to a gas leak.

In remarks to the media, National District Fire Department chief Rafael del Rosario confirmed the deaths of three men and a woman in the explosion, which was heard across a wide portion of the capital.

The fire resulting from the blast has been brought under control, Del Rosario said.

The owner of the factory, Manuel Diez Cabral said that “experts are working with emergency organizations to determine the impact and learn the causes. We are expecting them to issue a report on this situation.”

In a statement, the National Health Service reported that 44 people injured in the explosion had been – or were being – treated at local hospitals.

Three of the injured ranging from age 34-55 are in critical condition with second and third degree burns, according to authorities.

Meanwhile, the Education Ministry reported that at least nine students at various schools near the blast site had been slightly injured. Seven of those students were reportedly treated and released, but two others – ages 15 and 17 – remain hospitalized with a torso wound and a slight skull fracture, respectively.

Classes have been cancelled at schools in the area for Thursday and Friday so that authorities can evaluate damage to those institutions and make appropriate repairs.

Local officials said that blood bank supplies would be increased as a precautionary measure.

Dominican President Danilo Medina expressed his condolences to the relatives of the victims of the explosion, saying on Twitter: “Our hearts are with each of those affected in the tragedy at (the) Polyplas (company). We extend our condolences to the relatives of the victims of this terrible occurrence and to the residents of Villas Agricolas.”

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2018 © All rights reserved