SANA’A – At least 11 civilians were killed on Thursday in the north and south of the port city of Hodeida, Yemen, where pro-government forces backed by the Saudi-led Arab coalition were making advances in the quest to take over the western Yemeni port, under control of the rebel Houthi movement.
A family made up of a married couple and their five children were killed inside their house due to two airstrikes executed by the Arab coalition against a northern neighborhood in Hodeida, medical sources told EFE, adding that an 11-month baby was the sole survivor out of this family.
Meanwhile, another four civilians, including a child, were killed by an artillery attack executed by Houthi insurgents against a residential area in the southern town of Hodeida, according to TV channels supporting Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi.
Since Saturday, the fighting has intensified around Hodeida, which is held by the Houthi rebel forces that also control the country’s capital, Sana’a.
The United States and United Nations called last week for peace in the conflict-torn nation, which was welcomed by Hadi’s internationally-recognized government.
Meanwhile, UNICEF said on Sunday that over 11 million Yemeni children – about 80% of all children in the country – required humanitarian assistance, and an additional 1.8-2.8 million children were suffering from acute food insecurity as the ongoing conflict has caused food and fuel prices to soar across the Middle Eastern nation.
There have also been over 1.2 million suspected cholera cases and 2,515 associated deaths in Yemen since April 2017, according to the World Health Organization.