MEXICO CITY – Residents of the central State of Mexico were still reeling on Saturday from the news of the arrest of a couple who have been accused of killing at least 20 women in Ecatepec, in the outskirts of Mexico City.
On Friday, prosecutors from the State of Mexico charged the couple, who were arrested last week, of femicide.
The State of Mexico District Attorney’s Office said in a statement that Juan Carlos “N” and Patricia “N” were arrested on Oct. 6 and are being investigated for the murder of a 28-year-old woman who disappeared on Sept. 6.
Earlier this week, prosecutors charged the couple of violating burial and respect of human remains laws.
During the hearing on Friday, the judge accepted the femicide charges and ordered the couple to be held in pre-trial detention.
Juan Carlos and Patricia are expected to be charged for each of the murders they allegedly committed.
The couple was arrested on Oct. 4 in Ecatepec while pushing a stroller containing human remains.
After their arrest, two houses were searched where authorities found eight buckets with human remains that were covered with cement, as well as a refrigerator containing body parts wrapped in plastic bags.
In addition, authorities rescued a two-month old baby whose mother was allegedly murdered by the couple.
The couple was in the process of selling the baby to other individuals, who were arrested Friday and charged with human trafficking and illegal adoption.
The State of Mexico District Attorney’s Office said that a judge gave prosecutors two months to carry out the investigation into the murders, during which the couple will remain in pre-trial detention.