BEIRUT – A Lebanese newspaper published on Thursday a blank edition to protest the deteriorated situation in the Arab country which has been without a government for the last five months.
The An Nahar newspaper, founded in 1933, left eight of its print edition’s 12 pages blank, while earlier in the day its website contained yesterday’s stories leaving the top spot in blank reading with the slogan: “this is happening now.”
“We took this decision to send a message to the politicians saying enough already; we cannot stand the grave problems the country has been facing and we will mobilize ourselves to put an end to this situation,” An Nahar chief executive Nayla Tueni told EFE.
The blank pages express the Lebanese wish for better living conditions, according to Tueni, who said written media was in danger, stressing the need to reestablish the journalists’ mission.
Saad Hariri was named prime minister on May 24, but he has not been able to reach an agreement to form a government.
An Nahar was founded by Tueni’s great-grandfather Gebran Tueni and was run by her father Gebran until he was killed on Dec. 12, 2005, in a wave of assassinations of anti-Syria figures.
The Lebanese newspapers have been struggling with a severe crisis over the last few years.
On Sept, 28, the Dar As Sayyad, founded in 1959, announced it would stop issuing nine of its newspapers and magazines on economic grounds.