CARACAS – Venezuela’s opposition lawmaker Juan Requesens, arrested on charges of attacking Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, said he does not remember having recorded the confession video that the government released on Friday claiming that he had contact with the coordinator of the attack, the country’s legislative body said on Wednesday.
“Yesterday Juan Requesens (...) told his defense lawyer that he did not remember anything, that he does not remember having recorded any video, much less said anything in that video,” opposition legislator Delsa Solorzano said at a press conference, referring to the video clip released by President Nicolas Maduro’s government which claimed that Requesens spoke of a “confession.”
As a spokesperson for Venezuela’s National Assembly, Solorzano said that Requesens’ statements give them the “reason” to believe that he might not be “in full use of his mental faculties” in that video and that the lawmaker could have been drugged.
The government released a video on Friday showing that Requesens confessed that legislator Julio Borges “asked him a favor” of smuggling Juan Monasterios – accused of coordinating the attack – into Venezuela.
Borges is now living in exile in Colombia, and Venezuela has requested a red alert from Interpol against him for the attack.
After that, another set of leaked videos and images went viral on social media, showing what appears to be Requesens in feces-stained underwear.
With that the media team and relatives of the lawmaker reported to authorities that Requesens had been “coerced” and was subjected to “cruel treatment.”
The Ombudsman’s Office indicated that it will open an investigation, along with the Prosecutor’s Office.
Solorzano said on Wednesday that the National Assembly does not accept “any examination that is not conducted by independent experts” because, according to her, “there is no justice” in Venezuela and “he was absolutely kidnapped.”