|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | World (Click here for more)

Laos Government Appoints Committees to Launch Attapeu Dam Collapse Probe

BANGKOK – Two committees have been set up to investigate the Laos hydropower dam collapse last month which killed dozens of people and left thousands homeless, official media reported on Friday.

At least 13 villages in southern Attapeu province were flooded on July 23 by the five billion cubic meters of water released by the collapse of a section of the network of dams that Xe-Pian Xe-Namnoy Power Company (PNPC) was building.

A total of 13,000 people in these villages were affected, with more than 7,000 displaced villagers now living in temporary accommodation centers.

Prime Minister Thongloun Sisoulith has issued two formal decisions to establish the committees, the official Vientiane Times reported on Friday.

The first committee of 14 representatives of various ministries and organizations will investigate why the dam wall collapsed by looking into survey, design, construction, inspection and approvals of construction standards.

“PM Thongloun told the fact-finding committee to expedite the investigation thoroughly and in a transparent manner so that the findings were accepted domestically and internationally,” the report said.

“The committee was told to scrutinize the internationally-recognized Lao and foreign experts and observers who would assist with the investigation,” it added.

The second committee will investigate the responsibilities of the individuals involved in the hydropower project, as well as any law violations.

The two groups have been asked to provide regular reports to the government.

At least 35 people were killed in the disaster and about 100 are still missing, according to the Times.

The military is continuing to fly in food, water, clothing and medicine by helicopter to two of five temporary accommodation centers in Sanamxay district of Attapeu that are on higher ground.

The choppers cannot reach the other three centers, and trucks cannot access the area due to roads and bridges that were damaged by flooding.

The project developed by PNPC is part of a national plan to utilize the country’s river network and make Laos a source of clean electricity for Southeast Asia.

The government blamed the catastrophe on the construction company (a joint venture by two Korean companies, one Thai and another Laotian) and said it would have to take full responsibility for the compensation process.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2018 © All rights reserved