|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Sports (Click here for more)

Nadal Withdraws from Queen’s Club after Consulting with Doctors

LONDON – Spanish world No. 1 Rafael Nadal said on Wednesday he needed to rest after a busy clay-court season and would skip the Queen’s Club Championships, a Wimbledon tune-up event.

The 32-year-old Spaniard, who captured his 11th French Open title on Sunday, has had trouble in recent years making the transition to grass and says that low-bouncing surface puts a strain on his knees.

It remains to be seen if he will play an exhibition match on grass prior to the start of Wimbledon, a tournament he won in 2008 and 2010.

“Queen’s is a great event, I have happy memories of winning the title in 2008 ... I would like to say sorry to the tournament organizers and most of all to the fans that were hoping to see me play, but I have spoken to my doctors and I need to listen to what my body is telling me,” Nadal said in statement provided to the media by tournament organizers.

Nadal last played Queen’s in 2015, losing his opening match to Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov.

Despite the Spaniard’s absence, that tournament got a boost this week when former world No. 1 and three-time Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic accepted a late wildcard.

The Serbian joins a field that includes Scotland’s Andy Murray, a two-time Wimbledon champion who is returning to action after hip surgery and has not played since losing in the quarterfinals of last year’s edition of tennis’ grass-court Grand Slam.

Grigor Dimitrov, Marin Cilic, Juan Martin del Potro and Feliciano Lopez also are in the draw at Queen’s.

Wimbledon gets under way on July 2.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2018 © All rights reserved