LISBON – More than 540 firefighters continued on Saturday trying to extinguish wildfires that burned in central Portugal, a civil protection spokeswoman said.
In a press conference, National Authority for Civil Protection spokeswoman Patricia Gaspar said the fire in Abrantes was thought to be stabilized after the flames leaped back up early in the morning, forcing firefighters to redouble their efforts.
“This does not mean the fire will be under control in an hour or two,” she said, adding that an airplane from Morocco and two from Spain were helping in the battle to extinguish the blaze.
Of the 10 fires currently active in Portugal, the one in Abrantes continued to be the one requiring the most resources and was one of the most serious ones to have hit the country so far this summer.
Gaspar said the number of fires in Portugal had increased sharply over the last few days, with Friday beating the season’s record as 220 fires were detected throughout the national territory.
This means that authorities remain on high alert to deal with fires as quickly as possible, especially as meteorological reports suggest the next few days are expected to be hot, dry and windy, explained the spokeswoman.