TEHRAN – The Iranian Guardian Council announced on Wednesday that it had notified the judiciary about more than 200 incidents related to the presidential election campaigns, but stressed they were minor and would not affect Friday’s election.
At a press conference in Tehran, Guardian Council spokesman Abbasali Kadkhodaei explained that the judiciary is set to follow-up these incidents.
However, Kadkhodaei said that no major violations, which could change the outcome of the elections, have been reported so far.
Most incidents included accusations and insults to the candidates, including current president Hassan Rouhani and conservative cleric Ebrahim Raisi.
Meanwhile, Iranian Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli told reporters on Wednesday that Friday’s presidential election could be resolved in the first round, referring to the withdrawal of some candidates.
Fazli added that the results of the election would be announced “faster” than previous ones.
Kadkhodaei pointed out that consultations were underway with the interior ministry on how to announce the results, as the ministry believes it would be better to declare the ballot counts gradually.