|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Mexico

Nine Die in Fire in Western Mexico

GUADALAJARA, Mexico – Nine people, including five children, died in a house fire in Guadalajara, the capital of the western Mexican state of Jalisco, emergency services officials said.

“What we found are the bodies of nine people, four adults and five children” between the ages of 8 and 15, Guadalajara emergency services and fire department chief Felipe de Jesus Lopez told reporters.

The two-story house in the Lomas de Independencia district was home to three families, but only three of the 12 people living at the property survived the blaze, Lopez said.

The bodies of the parents, who were between 52 and 54, were found in an upstairs bedroom, while another adult and three children died in a second bedroom.

The charred bodies of the fourth adult and two children were found in the third bedroom.

One of the survivors, a 24-year-old man, told emergency services personnel that he woke up, smelled smoke and managed to get his brothers out of the house, Lopez said.

“They heard their parents calling to them, but they couldn’t do anything because everything was on fire, and they decided to go out a window, which is what saved them,” the fire chief said.

A short-circuit in the electric meter may have caused the fire, the survivors said.

Guadalajara emergency services and fire department personnel, however, have not ruled out the possibility that the fire was caused by an improperly used candle.

The bodies were taken to the coroner’s office for identification, while the survivors are being treated for burns and smoke inhalation at a public hospital.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2015 © All rights reserved