KABUL – Afghan officials raised security levels across the nation on Wednesday after a series of separate deadly attacks struck Afghanistan just hours apart, killing a total of 57 people, the Interior Ministry said.
An attack in the southern Kandahar province on Tuesday that killed 12 people, including five Emirate diplomats, came shortly after two explosions – one car bomb, one suicide bomber, near the Parliament building in Kabul, killing 38.
“All security bodies were ordered to raise their vigilance and to increase security measures so that every province in the country is prepared to thwart terrorist attacks,” Sediq Sediqqi, interior ministry spokesman, told a press conference.
The decision was taken during an emergency security meeting led by President Ashraf Ghani.
A security delegation had already traveled to the site of the Kandahar attack – in which the United Arab Emirates ambassador was also lightly injured – in order to launch an investigation.
Officials at the press conference said police patrols and checkpoints would also be ramped up in the streets of the capital.
Sediqqi raised the death toll of Tuesday’s attack in Kabul to 38 people, adding that at least 13 of those were members of the Afghan security forces.
That attack was claimed by the Taliban several hours later.
As well as the two attacks in Kandahar and Kabul, Tuesday bore witness to a third attack in the southern city of Lashkargah, Helmand province, that left seven people dead and eight injured.
The Taliban have gained territory since the end of the NATO mission in Afghanistan in 2015, and are estimated by Washington to control around one-third of the country’s territory.
Kabul has been the target of a series of large-scale attacks in the past year, including a double bombing at a Shiite protest in July that left at least 85 dead and 400 injured.