CAIRO – At least 56 people were killed in airstrikes in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib on Sunday, an international human rights organization said.
A suspected Russian aircraft bombed an area of Maarrat al-Nu’man, killing at least 23, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The attack targeted the main urban nucleus of the region of the same name, and among the victims there was a child and six members of the same family, four of whom are brothers, the NGO said.
The Observatory warned the death toll may increase as there are serious injuries and people believed to have disappeared under rubble of the buildings hit by bombs.
The NGO also reported the death of a woman in bombings in the town of Kafr Sajna.
Previously, the Observatory reported another attack of unidentified warplanes against the population of Kafr Nabl, where at least 26 people perished.
In addition, six other members of the same family were killed in an explosive barrel-bomb attack on the town of al-Tamanah in the south of Idlib province.
These crude weapons are usually used by the Syrian regime’s air force.
The NGO indicated that four of the dead were minors and the other two were women.
In the same province, the towns of Jisr al-Shughur, Khan Shaykhoun and al-Naqir were also bombed, all located in the south of the province of Idlib.
Most of Kafr Nabl is under the control of rebels and Islamist factions, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The SOHR, which did not specify the identity of the warplanes involved, said that the aircraft carried out three attacks against the town that is located in the western region of Maarrat al-Nu’man.
The bombings left dozens injured, some of whom are in critical condition, the United Kingdom-based NGO.
The towns of Jisr al-Shughur, Khan Shaykhoun, al-Tamanah and Kafr Sajna, which are located in southern Idlib, were also targeted by attacks, according to the SOHR.