BRUSSELS – An ex-officer in Serbia’s police force who was convicted for his participation in the murder of more than 8,000 people in the Bosnian War’s worst atrocity has been released from jail after showing remorse.
Ljubomir Borovcanin, a sub-commander of the Serbo-Bosnian police during the war, was allowed to walk free after serving just two-thirds of his sentence, the United Nations Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals said on Tuesday.
Borovcanin was convicted of crimes against humanity for failing to stop his subordinates from taking part in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.
His crimes were “particularly heinous, and were part of a widespread and systematic campaign of terror and violence,” said former President of the International Criminal Tribunal for Yugoslavia Theodor Meron.
However, the prisoner acknowledged “he did not do enough” to stop the massacre and recognized the seriousness of his crimes, Meron said.
Borovcanin had appeared before the ICTY in 2005 and was convicted five year later.
He had been serving his sentence in prison in Denmark since 2011.
A statement by the Danish prison and parole service said their decision to free Borovcanin was influenced by the prisoner having admitted to everything he was accused of and accepting his punishment.
Danish penal law allows prisoners to be released having served two-thirds of their sentence, which Borovcanin did on Aug. 1.
His prison counselor said Borovcanin had no doubt that what he did during the war was wrong.