|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Venezuela (Click here for more Venezuela news)

Venezuelan Opposition Confirms That Maduro Recall Process Can Start

CARACAS – The Venezuelan opposition confirmed on Saturday that it is ready to start the process to bring about the referendum to revoke the mandate of President Nicolas Maduro, even if they deprived of their liberty.

The mayor of Caracas, Antonio Ledezma, imprisoned since February 2015, released a message in which he congratulated the Venezuelan people for “the heroic journey made this week,” noting the effort resulted in hundreds of thousands of citizens validating their signatures to trigger a referendum.

On Friday, after a five-day effort, the National Electoral Council (CNE) validated 1.3 million signatures needed to start the recall.

Throughout the five days, the Venezuelan opposition gathered at the Democratic Unity Roundtable (MUD) reported that, the ruling party put up electoral obstacles to block this process of validation and therefore only about 400,000 signatures had been validated.

Now the opposition hopes to connect with the will of 20% of the Electoral Registry, equivalent to about 4 million people.

In his message Saturday, Ledezma issued a series of guidelines for activation of the referendum and asked to identify and overcome obstacles, as well as incorporate all the opposition sectors.

“We need to face the chicanery that slyly pretends to follow the rules of the CNE, in boycotting compliance with the new stages of the recall referendum,” said the mayor, who is under house arrest.

At this point Ledezma, who has been accused of conspiring against the government of Maduro, said the “unexpected supervening rules” of the CNE and its requirement of 1% is what he called “a sign to know what to expect.”

The mayor said that the next steps that must happen to trigger the recall are in the hands of the MUD and noted that “the priority” is to ensure that the CNE “issues the certification of the effectiveness of the signatures verified in the validation process.”

He said that “when that right is respected they may open the door to the path of dialogue.”

He said that “it is also essential to open the doors to humanitarian support for Venezuelans, coordinated by the UN and within the country by religious movements and NGOs, able to reach every corner of Venezuela with food and medicines.”

Also, the head of the Venezuelan opposition bloc in Parliament Julio Borges, said that the House issued a report on the abuses suffered by hundreds of people during the validation process of signatures.

“We will report on those who couldn’t be validated and every abuse will be noted,” Borges said on his Twitter account, noting that in this way it could be known who wanted to perform the procedure and did not.

Hundreds of Venezuelans have reported that during the validation period they were victims of harassment and ill-treatment by Chavista military units and other groups.

Buses carrying the signatories were robbed, and people not wearing long pants or long skirts were denied the ability to validate their signatures, moves that were denounced by a number of Venezuelans calling for a recall, some of the complainants told EFE.

Meanwhile, the President of Parliament, Henry Ramos Allup, complained on Saturday of discriminatory treatment upon arrival from Washington at Venezuela’s international airport, together with other deputies who support the OAS’ application of the Democratic Charter of Venezuela.

The legislator shared on social networks a video that shows how the luggage of him and the opposition members of parliament Luis Florido, William Davila and Luis Padilla were checked thoroughly despite the parliamentary immunity they enjoy which should exempt them from the process.

Later, Davila said in a statement that the group of lawmakers returned to Caracas with “greater commitment” to carry out the recall.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2020 © All rights reserved