|
|
|
|
Search: 
Latin American Herald Tribune
Venezuela Overview
Venezuelan Embassies & Consulates Around The World
Sites/Blogs about Venezuela
Venezuelan Newspapers
Facts about Venezuela
Venezuela Tourism
Embassies in Caracas

Colombia Overview
Colombian Embassies & Consulates Around the World
Government Links
Embassies in Bogota
Media
Sites/Blogs about Colombia
Educational Institutions

Stocks

Commodities
Crude Oil
US Gasoline Prices
Natural Gas
Gold
Silver
Copper

Euro
UK Pound
Australia Dollar
Canada Dollar
Brazil Real
Mexico Peso
India Rupee

Antigua & Barbuda
Aruba
Barbados
Cayman Islands
Cuba
Curacao
Dominica

Grenada
Haiti
Jamaica
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

Bahamas
Bermuda
Mexico

Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Guyana
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay

What's New at LAHT?
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter
Most Viewed on the Web
Popular on Twitter
Receive Our Daily Headlines


  HOME | Mexico

Consortium Signs Contracts Awarded in Historic Mexico Oil Auction

MEXICO CITY – The consortium that won two shallow-water exploration blocks in July’s first phase of Mexico’s historic Round One oil auction has signed the corresponding contracts with the government, officials said.

John Ashland Shepherd and Bill Moss, representatives of Houston-based oil company Talos Energy; Timothy Lloyd of Britain’s Premier Oil; and Salvador Beltran del Rio and Ivan Sandrea of Mexico’s Sierra Oil & Gas inked the contracts Friday on behalf of the consortium.

The head of the National Hydrocarbons Commission, Juan Carlos Zepeda, who signed on the government’s behalf, said a new stage will now begin in which the regulator will seek to ensure the companies comply with all their commitments.

Over the next 90 days, the consortium must conduct environmental and socioeconomic surveys at the blocks to establish a baseline that authorities can use in determining potential adverse impacts in future studies, Zepeda said.

The consortium also has 120 days to present its exploration plan and risk management system to authorities.

The July 15 first phase of Round One was the first oil auction in Mexico since a 2013 energy sector overhaul ended state-owned Petroleos Mexicanos’ 75-year-old monopoly.

But it ended in disappointment, with the two blocks snapped up by the consortium made up of Sierra Oil & Gas, Talos Energy and Premier Oil the only ones awarded out of 14 on offer.

Mexico’s government is looking to the overhaul to attract tens of billions of dollars in investment and reverse a roughly 30 percent decline in Mexico’s oil output, which peaked at 3.38 million barrels per day in 2004 and currently stands at roughly 2.3 million bpd.

Mexico is starting small with its offer of shallow-water fields and onshore blocks this year and saving the big prizes – deep-water fields in the Gulf of Mexico – for later tenders.

Because of the disappointing results of the first phase, Mexico has sweetened the terms of the second phase of Round One, in which up to five shallow-water blocks are to be awarded on Sept. 30.

Among the changes, successful bidders are to receive additional exploration and production rights beyond previously discovered reserves and a $2.5 million bid security guarantee will cover all contracts a bidder is awarded and will not need to be provided for each separate block, as was the case in the first phase.

 

Enter your email address to subscribe to free headlines (and great cartoons so every email has a happy ending!) from the Latin American Herald Tribune:

 

Copyright Latin American Herald Tribune - 2005-2020 © All rights reserved