SANTIAGO – The bomb that last September killed a 29-year-old man in downtown Santiago was intended to blow up a building of the prison guard service, or Gendarmerie, Interior Deputy Secretary Mahmud Aleuy said Friday.
The deputy secretary provided new details of the investigation carried out by the Southern Metropolitan District Attorney’s Office following the bombing last Sept. 25, and which on Thursday concluded that Sergio Landskron, who died in the explosion, did not take part in planting the device.
“The young man had been carrying the package from 10 to 15 minutes and when he tried to see what was inside it, the bomb went off,” the interior deputy secretary said on Radio ADN.
The District Attorney Office’s investigation, Aleuy said, has established that two people got out of a taxi and put the package containing the bomb in the Gendarmerie building in the Yungay neighborhood, though both their identities and whether they had some connection with the anarchist groups responsible for other bomb attacks remain unknown.
“This is intolerable, that an innocent person should die because some irresponsible types plant a bomb in the street,” Aleuy said, adding that the government will apply the anti-terrorist law in this case to have wider-ranging investigative power and to stiffen the punishment for those responsible.
The Chilean capital has seen several bomb attacks in recent months, including one in a shopping mall that wounded 14 people.