CARACAS – Venezuela’s FMV medical federation demanded Tuesday that the government guarantee security in hospitals after two people were riddled with bullets at a medical center.
At the same time, the FMV rejected the reaction by personnel at the affected hospital, who closed the emergency room in protest.
“We urge that the emergency room be kept open... and of course the government ought to take responsibility for security inside all the hospitals in the country,” the president of the FMW, Douglas Leon Natero, told a press conference.
“We blame the government for what the medical staff of these hospitals have to take,” he said.
Last Sunday a patient was gunned down, during a surgery to extract a bullet at the University Hospital of Caracas (HUC), by unknown assailants, who also killed the victim’s brother who was present in the medical center at the time.
On Monday the HUC emergency service closed for 72 hours in protest.
“We of the medical federation reject that, we don’t agree with closing any emergency service in any hospital in the country,” Leon said.
Venezuela suffered more than 11,000 homicides last year, according to the government, while some NGOs say the true figure was closer to 25,000.
To try to reduce those figures, President Nicolas Maduro last year activated a plan to station soldiers in the streets to support the police in their work.